Pages

November 11, 2014

Veteran's Day

Today I'm thankful for all the men and women who have served and continue to serve in our armed forces. I admit that I have some complicated feelings about this holiday - for all the lip service given to veterans by our politicians during campaigning, we as a nation continue to systematically treat veterans with contempt and neglect. The top search results for Veteran's Day today bring up lots of articles about the freebies and deals available to veterans today. Yet throughout the rest of the year, they struggle for decent health care, both physical and mental. They struggle to be employed, they struggle for schooling, they struggle to make lives for themselves and their families. While I may not always agree with our military actions, and I believe too much of our nation's budget is spent on defense, I wish nothing but the best for those who have been sent in harm's way by our government. I pray for them and their families. May those who are deployed return to us safely, and may all who are safely home be blessed with health and happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment