Pages

November 15, 2014

AzLA MPLA Conference

I attended the joint Arizona Library Association/Mountain Plains Library Asiciation Conference Wednesday through Friday this week. I wasn't involved in the conference planning at all, which still feels a little strange. Once a conference committee co-chair always a co-chair, I guess.

Anyway, I had a great time! I got to see not only my AzLA friends from around the state, but also my MPLA buddies who escaped the sudden winter weather in their home states to enjoy the sunny warmth of Fountain Hills in mid-November! I'm grateful for all the fun, intelligent, and passionate people I talked to this week who are a big part of why I love my job!

I also got to hear some great speakers: Bob Boze Bell spun a great yarn about his childhood and love of the history of the West, Lee Rainie of Pew talked about how important and beloved libraries are in their communities and the challenges that lie ahead, and Connie Willis told how books change lives and always will, and reminded me of how much I love to read. I'm thankful for the opportunity to hear inspiring speakers that recharge my professional batteries and fill me with hope and new ideas.

Finally, I'm thankful that my library encourages and supports my attendance at conferences. I know how lucky I am to have the ability to take time away from the office and have my registration paid for so that I can make these wonderful connections with people and ideas.

And today, I'm thankful to have a lazy day at home, because it was a long week!

No comments:

Post a Comment