Pages

November 18, 2013

My pregnancy FAQ's, round 2

Last time I was pregnant, I posted the most common questions I was asked. Having just attended a local conference with lots of people I know and being asked a lot of questions, I thought it'd be fun to do a new version for this go-round.

When are you due?
January 11, 2014. Give or take, of course.

I'm at 32 of 40 weeks right now, so looking pretty big. Some people seem surprised that I still have 8 weeks to go!

What are you having?
A baby! (I can't resist - it cracks me up how often I hear this exact question).

Do you know if it's a boy or a girl?
It's a surprise! (This is usually followed by stories and/or predictions about the gender based on how I'm carrying it/phase of the moon/dowsing with a stone/ or some other wive's tale about ways to tell gender other than an ultrasound).

Long answer - yes, we know. We're not sharing - it's a surprise for everyone but us. We had fun with that last time and it hasn't gotten old yet.

When will you start your maternity leave?
Since I'm due so soon after New Year's, I'm not going to push myself too hard after the holidays. I don't have a firm date, but I doubt I'll be going in to work much after January 3. My blood pressure spiked the week before Elmer was born and I learned my lesson - take it easy when you're at 38-39 weeks!

How are you feeling?
What I want to say: I feel big and tired - my back hurts, my hips hurt, my feet hurts. I'm not comfortable for more than 10 minutes in any position, and that includes trying to sleep. I have heartburn almost constantly, and I'm hungry every 2 hours at least. Sometimes I'm hungry AND have heartburn. Peanut kicks and squirms and stretches a lot - often at 5 AM when I want to sleep for just 30 more minutes. I get tired cleaning the kitchen. My belly gets in the way of just about any thing I try to do. I already miss riding my bike. I look forward to weekends when I can take a nap. I have a hard time asking for help when I need it because I hate having such strict limitations on what I can do, but I try to force myself to not only ask, but accept help when it's offered.

What I actually say: I feel great!

Which is the truth, because all of the above are perfectly normal signs of a perfectly healthy pregnancy, and I am so blessed and thankful that I do have such great health, and that Peanut is active and growing the way a baby should. All signs indicate a healthy baby! I can't complain about how I feel about being pregnant because I have it so good and I only have 8 more weeks. So suck it up, buttercup!

No comments:

Post a Comment