Pages

September 06, 2012

Random Thursday Morning stuff

A nice ROTC cadet, shiny shoes, slacks sharply creased and cap folded neatly under his arm, held the door open for me as I entered the library this morning. I thanked him, and he nodded back. I especially appreciate these little courtesies first thing in the morning.

I found out yesterday that we just hired someone I worked with as a student in the Music Library, 12 years ago. I'll have to run down and say hi later.

Also, yesterday, I registered for a Gamification course on Coursera, which is a free, open, online educational platform, otherwise known as a MOOC (massive online open course). I figured it would be appropriate in light of my new game collection responsibilities, but I do feel a little trepidation about the time commitment. It's not like I have an excess of free time these days. But Chris has rehearsals 3 nights out of the week and I might as well do something other than sit in front of the TV watching streaming Netflix. We'll see how it goes.

We're filming a new episode of the Library Minute this morning, the first since Elmer was born. I'm a little rusty, but hopefully will be able to pull myself together in order to put on a good episode.

I've often blogged a lot about the elections in the past, but I'm not sure I have the energy for it this year. I'm so discouraged by the blatant lies, the meanness of the campaigns, and am battling the despair I feel that politicians care more for their own aspirations than the good of the people they represent. I'm sure I feel this way every election season, but this year seems worse. I watched Michelle Obama's speech, as well as Bill Clinton's, and, while they were great speeches, I can't help but feel that it doesn't actually make any difference. Will they actually convince people that haven't already decided how they will vote? Do such people really exist? I don't know.

So I don't sign off on such a negative note, here's a picture of Elmer from yesterday.
Enjoying the grass


No comments:

Post a Comment