Pages

April 24, 2012

Thoughts from 3 AM

I've mentioned how well Elmer sleeps at night. We put him to bed between 6 and 7 PM (depending on how naps that afternoon went), and he usually falls asleep without a peep. He wakes up the first time between 10 PM and midnight, then a second time between 2 and 4 AM. Both times he typically just needs a diaper change, a quick feeding, and is back asleep within 40 minutes. His wonderful father handles the first feeding and I do the second. It's a great arrangement.

This morning, I was thinking that I really don't mind our 3 AM feeding. Don't get me wrong, I won't be sad to see them go when Elmer starts sleeping through the night! But I usually feel pretty good after my 5-6 hours of sleep (again, thanks to Chris!), and it is very peaceful in our house at night. We sit on the couch in the glow of the nightlight and I listen to the sucking, snoring and sighing of my son as he nurses, eyes closed, one hand resting on my chest. Charlie lies on the floor near my feet, supervising and hoping I'll feed him next. Sophy sometimes joins us, prowling around the room. As I hold him close, I dream of the vacations we'll take this summer - a little camping, a trip to Utah to see my grandparents, a cabin. I look forward to introducing him to these experiences, the beginning of new family traditions. It's a lovely time to just let my mind wander while enjoying a quiet moment with my baby boy.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful beginnings with your baby. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you are treasuring nightime feedings as special moments with your baby. I miss them! They are also really important for keeping up your milk supply.

    ReplyDelete