Pregnancy FAQs

I get asked these questions a lot, so I thought I'd share the answers here, especially for my friends who don't get to see me on a regular basis.

How are you feeling?
Feeling great, actually. I managed to keep up with everyone at our Disneyland trip last week (post & pics coming soon!), so I still have enough energy. I'm usually ready to go to bed by 9:30, which wasn't unusual pre-pregnancy, but the difference is now I'm really ready for bed.

When are you due?
January 25. So...right now I'm at 26/40 weeks, which is roughly the beginning of my 7th month. The month thing is actually pretty confusing to me since we commonly count a pregnancy term as 9 months, but the medical field counts it as 10.

Do you know/want to know the baby's gender?
It's a surprise! Actually, we do know, but we are keeping it a surprise for everyone else. I could go on a long rant about this if you like, but I'll refrain.

Do you have names picked out?
Not exactly. We've talked a little bit about names. I want uncommon names, Chris wants names that are versatile. We've discussed some possibilities, but are waiting until we meet the baby to name him/her. Currently, we're calling it Goober.

Do you feel the baby moving/kicking?
Yes, I do! So far, that's my favorite part about being pregnant. It really makes me realize that there's a whole other being in there, moving around independently. It's pretty fun. Goober kicks me a lot.

Are you still riding your bike?
Yes! And it feels good, so I'm going to keep doing it until I feel too uncomfortable or unsafe. I'm a little slower than I was, but otherwise, no complaints.

Do you get maternity leave?
I do - I'll be taking 12 weeks off to figure this whole new baby thing out. I'm sure I'll need it.

Are you planning to go back to work?
I was surprised to be asked this question - of course I will! I love my job, and Goober will be well-cared for by Chris most of the time. My schedule can be pretty flexible when needed, so we should be just fine.

Did I miss any?

Comments

  1. Hey, I'm glad to hear the answers to these questions. For some reason I didn't realize you were so far along.

    Regarding the difference in months: I always thought this was a bit odd, too. It turns out that you can't use that old standby rule "4 weeks = 1 month" when calculating gestation. This website has a really good explanation about the calculation, which I've found very helpful.

    Basically, human gestation is 9 months + 6 days, or 9.2 months, long. To get the months to work out correctly you have to assume 4.44 weeks = 1 month. That makes you...nearly six months along, which sounds right to me as you are just entering the third trimester. Prepare to get a little more tired in the evenings, probably. I had heartburn in both pregnancies from this point on; that acid just didn't want to stay where it oughta.

    Thanks for enlightening us!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kelly! That explanation was most helpful, especially the gestation calculator. I'll just stick to telling people weeks, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You forgot to say what items you want or need (everything I am sure) for Goobers arrival. Also, are you going disposable or cloth?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are going cloth.

    We actually have most of the big stuff, thanks to hand-me-down generosity from many friends and family. It's hard to say what we really need-I welcome recommendations!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment