Speak out with your Geek out - Second-Generation Gamer

Speak Out with your Geek Out is this week, a campaign taking a stance against geek/nerd stereotypes and demonstrating that geeky hobbies, interests, and careers can have a positive influence on people's lives.

I thought I'd embrace my inner geek by writing about what is probably the main reason I am the geek I am. I am a second generation gamer.

Some of my earliest memories of my childhood involve my parents' gaming group arriving for their regular Dungeons & Dragons game. I can still hear their cheery greetings as they showed up with snacks, dice, books, and graph paper. I remember being allowed to sit on various laps to watch the game and roll dice "for luck", until I was trundled off to bed.

When I was 10, I was allowed to make my first D&D character. She was a wood-elf cleric named Trillina Duskin. I believe I started at 4th level, as my father was running us through the Scourge of the Slave Lords module. My first comics weren't DC or Marvel - they were SnarfQuest, Wormy, and What's New from the back of Dragon Magazine.

When I was in middle school, D&D was my primary social activity - I was involved in 7 games at one time, with a variety of Dungeon Masters ranging from family friends to kids my own age. Our family had a very tight social circle at this time, and we enjoyed spending time gaming together.

We moved to Flagstaff when I started high school, and left all those friends behind. That was a very difficult transition, and I didn't game as much for a while. My freshman year, I played for a brief time in a game after school with some seniors, but after they graduated, the D&D opportunities dried up. This situation continued until college. I was delighted to marry a fellow gamer, and we brought in several friends for various brief campaigns.

D&D continues to be my favorite game. I've tried other RPG systems, but none of them have the same appeal for me. It is a great way to keep regular contact with friends, especially in this virtual, social networked world. If it weren't for gaming, I wouldn't see many of my friends as often I do - the game encourages us to meet often to keep the story rolling. Gaming brings us together and keeps us close as the years roll along. And now we're all working on the raising the next generation of gamers. We already play D&D with our friends' children, and I, for one, am looking forward to bringing my own child into the family tradition, the third generation in my family.

Comments

  1. Have you seen this event? I thought of you and another 2nd Gen D&D player I know when I saw it.

    http://blogs.evtrib.com/nerdvana/events/dungeons-dragons-seventies/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I'd made time for D&D in high school. I didn't discover it until partway through college, and then played every few weeks with a group for about five years, right up until I left for New Zealand. I always did feel a bit handicapped because I had no previous experience of the game.

    I wonder if my current group of friends would play? :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment