Pages

May 16, 2011

Songs of Summertime

Daphne's posted the next installment of meaningful songs - a song of summertime. Daphne posted about a specific summer, so I guess I'll go along with that.

The summer of 1992 was fairly important to me, musically. It was the summer after my freshman year in high school, the first summer after moving to Arizona, the last summer I didn't have a job. I turned 15 and was suffering from an acute case of teenage angst - my best friends were busy with jobs (they were older than I was), so I was bored and moody. I spent most of that summer holed up in my room either listening to music, dancing, or reading Guitar World magazines.

This is also the year when my musical tastes evolved from Top 40 pop hits to some serious rock - it was the year that Nirvana's Nevermind, Alice in Chains' Dirt, and Pearl Jam's Ten were released, among others. But I can actually remember the song that really opened up my ears to some heavier guitar sounds, a song that seduced me to rock, and the song that made me fall in love with the band that became my favorite throughout high school:

Metallica's Unforgiven.

This song was the turning point - I became a rocker and never looked back.

2 comments:

  1. Nice choice! I didn't realize how much good music came out of 1992.

    ReplyDelete