Song from my childhood

Daphne is doing a series of posts on songs that have had an impact on her life, and asked that her friends join her. I'm only too happy to oblige!

The first song is a song from childhood. Daphne's song, The Rainbow Connection, is a definite candidate for me as well. My best friend Maralee and I loved that song and sang it together often. But it wouldn't be fair to just copy Daphne's songs!

Luckily, my childhood was full of music. My parents both contributed to my early exposure -  my father shared his love of rock with bands like Deep Purple, The Moody Blues and Steppenwolf; my mother introduced me to Simon & Garfunkel, Peter, Paul, & Mary, and ABBA. We often sang together as a family in the car on road trips (of which there were many), singing church hymns, folk songs, and anything else we knew.

But in honor of Mother's Day this weekend, I'll choose a song from my mother. She took guitar classes in college, and used to play and sing to us. To me, she was beautiful playing her guitar, her long brown hair falling down past her shoulders as she watched her chord changes, and I loved listening to her sing. I have a very vivid memory of sitting on her bed as she played, and we sang this song together.



It's because of her influence that I started playing guitar myself. She taught me my first chords, and this was the first song I learned to play.

Comments