Pages

February 19, 2011

Steel Cut Oatmeal Pancakes

We had some leftover steel cut oatmeal from yesterday's breakfast, so I decided to throw them into some pancakes this morning. Oh man, were they good! Light, moist and fluffy, definitely one of the best pancakes I've ever made. I was too busy eating to take pictures, but I thought I'd share my recipe.

Adapted from Highland Hotcakes (my usual oatmeal pancake recipe)

Approx. 3/4 cup cooked steel cut oats (about 1/4 cup dry)
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup oil (I used canola, but usually use butter)
1 1/4 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder

Mix the oats, milk, eggs, vanilla, and oil together. If you're using leftover oats, you may want to warm them up a little to loosen any clumps so that they mix well with the liquids. In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients. Add them to the oats mixture and mix just until everything's moist.

You know how to cook pancakes, so I'm not going to go into the cooking directions. These were excellent with butter and syrup.

I think I may have to make leftover oatmeal more often!

As an aside, several years ago I bought Chris a rice cooker for his birthday. It is seriously the best kitchen appliance we have (and we don't have many). I now consider it indispensable - and it's perfect for cooking steel cut oats! For our breakfast, I just pour in 1/2 cup oats, 1 1/2 cup boiling water, and let it soak for about 5-10 minutes. Then I turn on the rice cooker and go get ready for work. When I return, about 15-20 minutes later, voila! Breakfast is ready!

3 comments:

  1. I love oatmeal pancakes so much, but for some reason I haven’t made them in a while. So, thanks to your recipe I’ll try them again. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting this delicious recipe. I love my steel cut oatmeal and it made these pancakes extra good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Just made them, delicious. Thank you

    ReplyDelete