One of my New Year's Resolutions is to sew more - specifically, finish a quilt I started over a year ago. My friend Shilo suggested I take pictures, and I thought that was a great idea, so here's an introduction to the quilt.
When I was in high school, I participated in the Society for Creative Anachronism and had a significant collection of pseudo-medieval costumes. Once I went away to college, my interest in those activities waned, but I still loved the costumes and have packed them around with me for years. For the past 10 years or so, they have just sat in our shed, being occasionally used for Halloween costumes, but mostly just taking up space.
Last year, I decided I would make a quilt out of several of the costumes. Well, not exactly a quilt - I don't intend to do the actual quilting. I'm essentially making a patchwork duvet. The finished product will, hopefully, become a new cover for our fraying-at-the-edges comforter. My mom and aunt helped me plan out the pattern and cut up all the pieces. We were on a roll for a while, but lost steam after a few months. My sewing machine is inherited from my great-grandmother and is a bit temperamental due to its age. So the quilt pieces have just been doing what they do best - take up space in the closet.
As my resolution, I plan to spend time on the quilt at least one Sunday each month, aiming to finish it by the end of December 2011. Since it's the last Sunday in January, I figured I'd better get started. I focused on sewing up a specific group of squares, and make a definite dent in the amount of little pieces lying around. Still lots to do, but it was fun to complete a concrete goal.
I also laid out some of the squares that we'd already completed, to get a vague idea of what it will eventually look like. Check it out:
(high school friends may recognize the ol' turquoise cloak in there)
I'm following a starry nine-patch quilt pattern. We'll see if it turns out the way I plan!