Pages

February 15, 2010

Some things just work out

First thing's first: Chris and I had a lovely Valentine's Day.  We went for a very long bike ride, enjoying the spectacularly beautiful afternoon, and wound up at Aunt Chilada's for dinner and drinks.  Really couldn't ask for a nicer day.

I was originally disappointed that my presentation proposal for Computers in Libraries wasn't accepted, but now I'm pretty glad that it wasn't since it's opened up some interesting new opportunities for me this spring.

First of all, this weekend I'm attending a Science Commons Symposium, held on the Microsoft Campus in Redmond, WA.  I've never been to that area of the country before, and I'm pretty excited about this symposium - many of the who's who of the scholarly communication community will be there, so this is an excellent opportunity for me to network and learn.

Additionally, I've been accepted to attend the Mountain Plains Library Association Leadership Institute in April.  This will be a week-long leadership retreat at the YMCA of the Rockies.  What a beautiful location!  I've heard so many good things about this institute, and am so excited and thrilled to have been chosen to go.

If I had been going to CiL, I would not have had the professional development funding to easily take advantage of these opportunities, so things have definitely worked out for the better.  2010 is already an improvement over 2009!

I've got some interesting presentation proposals in the works for a couple of conferences this fall, and a couple of papers in the early stages.  Juggling all these projects is one of my main motivations for my last two monthly themes!

4 comments:

  1. Whoa - you're going to a science (information) symposium? That's cool - is that a different focus for you? How does this relate to what you're usually working on? (I'm guessing that you probably don't have a lot of contact with science researchers trying to make data publicly available etc.) Just curious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Kelly and Anali.

    First of all, I am delighted that Anali will be joining those of us who are attending the Science Commons Symposium Pacific Northwest. I am one of the organizers and have worked very hard to interest librarians in the Open Science movement becuase many data are being created in that realm and librarians need to know how to deal with all of that and also how to figure out how to extend library-type services to the Open Science world.

    Additionally, many of the people in Open Science are creating fascinating new tools and modes of scientific communication that librarians would find interesting and important.

    See you soon, Anali and thanks for your quuestion, Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope, thanks for your thoughtful comment! I can't wait to attend the symposium!

    Kelly, it actually IS part of my position, more so than the Library Minute. That's just a little flashier. My actual position is the Assistant Collections & Scholarly Communications Librarian. Collections is self-explanatory, but the Scholarly Communications aspect is all about providing access to information, including open science! While I don't personally work with the researchers at ASU, we are slowly but surely working to raise awareness among our librarians here and then the ASU community as a whole.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi There,

    Glad you found something better to do than #CIL2010. I think this will be my last year going because it is just the same people and same topics each year. It would have been fun to hear what you would have had to say though. I guess I'll be stuck listening to LiB 3 or 4 times.

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete