Pages

February 19, 2010

First trip to Seattle

I realized that I hadn't built in any time to sight see Seattle when I was scheduling this trip. I get so focused on the task at hand - I booked flights that brought me into town at dinner time on Friday, and will be picked up by the airport shuttle at 6:00 AM on Sunday.  On the one hand, I don't like being away from home for too long, but I could easily have arrived earlier today.

However, the flight to Seattle totally made up for it.  As we were starting the descent, I was lucky enough to be on the side of the plane that had a spectacular view of Mt. Hood, Mt. St. Helens, and Mt. Rainier.  I gazed in awe at these storied peaks, rising so far above the other ridges, recognizing Mt. St. Helens' ravaged profile.
 (This is Mt. Hood on the left, Mt. St. Helens on the right)


Mt. Rainier

The plane continued to descent along Mt. Rainier's northern flank, looming larger by the second. I couldn't tear my eyes away until it was behind us several minutes later.

These pictures are poor, but the memory is rich.

Now I'm settled at the hotel enjoying free wifi, an IPA, and some green chicken curry delivery.  A pretty decent Friday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment