Pages

April 08, 2009

Parting Shots

On Monday, we shot a pilot episode of a new feature of the Library Channel called "The Library Minute." I'm pretty excited about this because I will be the face and voice behind this feature! We envision it being literally one minute of library news, events, research tips, etc. that will be available weekly as both a podcast and a video. Our pilot probably won't air, because it was more than one minute and we spent a lot of time figuring out logistics (and content - I have a much better idea of how much content I need to prepare each week to take up 60 seconds). However, I'm already planning out our next episode.

Here's where you come in. I thought it might be fun to come up with a funny, perhaps surprising, tagline or parting shot, and to have something different each week. However, I'll need to come up with a lot of these. I would LOVE some suggestions from you in the comments!

Here are some examples I've thought of already:
  • "Thank you for taking a Library Minute, where all your base are belong to us!"
  • "Thank you for taking a Library Minute, during which you could have traveled 17,987,547,480 meters at the speed of light."
  • "Thank you for taking a Library Minute, vampire-free since 1997." (this is a library in-joke, ask me about it sometime).
Some things to keep in mind:
  1. Our target audience is primarily composed of university students and faculty - College jokes are great, but cannot be inappropriate.
  2. I love references to things that take a minute, like Minute Rice, Minute Men, etc.
  3. My goal is for this phrase to be memorable, a last chuckle at the end of the show, and perhaps for the listener to wonder what I'll say NEXT week.
Maybe this is silly or unrealistic, but I thought it'd be fun. I welcome your suggestions here, as well as any other ideas you might have for the Library Minute! I'm looking forward to our first show!

6 comments:

  1. Here are some lists of internet memes that could provide ideas, but I don't have any suggestions.

    http://knowyourmeme.com/

    http://youshouldhaveseenthis.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for taking a Library Minute, 1/3 the time it takes to make a 3 Minute Egg. (the downside is they may not know what a 3 minute egg is)

    Thank you for taking a Library Minute, and now you have 525,599 minutes remaining in your year. (Which would be a reference to the Rent musical song, 525600 minutes.)

    And I fear if I have to explain them this much they may not be good for the audience.

    that's all I've got thus far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol, Babs, I love the Rent reference! I think it's funny even without knowing the connection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you need to put a little more effort into it than this, Grumpator. First, you need to come up with a bunch of these little parting shots, but then you need to relate the parting shot to the topic. Otherwise, you're just being snarky. ;)

    I don't have any help, by the way, just commentary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Moses, on behalf of all of us: you're completely useless.

    Thank you for taking a Library Minute, and now you are 60 seconds closer to dying.

    Thank you for taking a Library Minute, where a sucker was just born.

    Actually, I suck at this too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're right, Moses - of COURSE I'm going to tie them into my topic,whenever possible.

    Mike, it's a good thing I wasn't drinking anything when I read that. Get Havilah on up here, she's clever.

    Oh, Syd - thanks for the resources. I'm probably fighting a losing battle - I am NOT cool nor up on the whole pop culture thing, so I just have to rely on Nerdcore...

    ReplyDelete