Pages

April 22, 2009

Being Proactive

Yesterday we had our first Arizona Library Association College & University Libraries Division (AZLA CULD- now you know why we love acronyms!) virtual event, which we called ConnectED. We held it in a Meebo chat room over lunch to make it easy for people around the state to attend. We actually had about a dozen attendees, so that was pretty good for our first event!

We had asked Monique Rider, a local life coach, to facilitate a discussion about dealing with change and these TETs (tough economic times), since most libraries in Arizona have really been hit hard. It was a really great discussion, and I think everyone came away feeling a bit more positive and determined to be a change leader (pdf).

One of Monique's suggestions for staying positive was to keep a gratitude list - every day, list 3 things for which you're grateful. I've heard this before, but I've decided that I'm going to actually do it. Every day, I'll post 3 things that make me feel grateful or positive. We'll see how long I can keep it up.

Here is my list for today:
  1. I'm grateful for having sick time, so I don't have to drag myself in to work when I'm not feeling well.
  2. For awakening to the chorus of birds outside.
  3. For Lemon Zinger tea!
Monique also suggests having a gratitiude list at work. She suggests using a whiteboard that everyone on your team (or in your department, or whatever) can add one thing each day for which they're thankful. This helps spread a positive attitude throughout the office, and emphasizes the good things rather than the bad. I'm thinking about suggesting it for my office - I think it would be really good for us.

I encourage all of you to do this as well. I don't know anyone who isn't feeling a little anxious right now, and we could all use a little positive thinking. What are you grateful for? Feel free to share in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. Lemon Zinger tea is definitely something to be grateful for. Partcularly when one is sick and/or living in cold weather and it's just gotten cold.
    And if you have honey, so much the better.

    I like Red Zinger too, or what I call liquid froot loops. That does sound gross, but I came up with it in my teens. So, I had had fruit loops more recently. That is sort of what it smells like. But, better

    ReplyDelete