Pages

March 03, 2009

Tuesday randomness

I find it impossible to be down about anything with this weather. Granted, it helps that I'm adhering strictly to my news hiatus, but sunny days, 80 degree temperatures, and the deliciously heavenly aroma of citrus blossoms makes everything lovely.

Here's a little listening pleasure from this morning's workout for you, which also contributes to my good mood:


And, because I'm such a sucker for these reading lists, the BBC believes most people will have only read 6 of the 100 books here. How do your reading habits stack up? Mark the ones you've read and tally it up at the bottom.

1 Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen - yes
2 The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien - Yes
3 Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte - yes
4 Harry Potter series - JK Rowling - yes
5 To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee - yes
6 The Bible – no
7 Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte - yes
8 1984 - George Orwell - yes
9 His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman - yes
10 Great Expectations - Charles Dickens - yes
11 Little Women - Louisa M Alcott - yes
12 Tess of the D'Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy - yes
13 Catch 22 - Joseph Heller – no
14 Complete Works of Shakespeare - Not sure I can say the complete works, but several.
15 Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier -no
16 The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien - yes
17 Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks - no
18 Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger - no
19 The Time Traveller's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger - Yes
20 Middlemarch - George Eliot- no
21 Gone With The Wind - Margaret Mitchell - no
22 The Great Gatsby - F Scott Fitzgerald - no (on the to-read list)
23 Bleak House - Charles Dickens- no
24 War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy - no
25 The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams - yes
26 Brideshead Revisited - Evelyn Waugh - no
27 Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky - yes
28 Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck -no
29 Alice in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll - yes
30 The Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Grahame - yes
31 Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy - no
32 David Copperfield - Charles Dickens - no
33 The Chronicles of Narnia - CS Lewis - yes
34 Emma - Jane Austen - yes
35 Persuasion - Jane Austen - yes
36 The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe -yes
37 The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini - yes
38 Captain Corelli's Mandolin - Louis De Bernieres- No
39 Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden - no
40 Winnie the Pooh - AA Milne - Yes
41 Animal Farm - George Orwell - no
42 The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown - yes
43 One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez - no, couldn't finish it
44 A Prayer for Owen Meaney - John Irving - no
45 The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins - No
46 Anne of Green Gables - LM Montgomery - yes
47 Far From The Madding Crowd - Thomas Hardy - No
48 The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood - no
49 Lord of the Flies - William Golding - yes
50 Atonement - Ian McEwan - no
51 Life of Pi - Yann Martel - yes
52 Dune - Frank Herbert- yes
53 Cold Comfort Farm - Stella Gibbons - yes
54 Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen - yes
55 A Suitable Boy - Vikram Seth - no
56 The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon - No
57 A Tale Of Two Cities - Charles Dickens - yes (just read it!)
58 Brave New World - Aldous Huxley - no
59 The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time - Mark Haddon - yes
50 Love In The Time Of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia Marquez - yes
61 Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck - no
62 Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov - no
63 The Secret History - Donna Tartt - no
64 The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold - yes
65 Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas - No
66 On The Road - Jack Kerouac - no
67 Jude the Obscure - Thomas Hardy - no
68 Bridget Jones's Diary - Helen Fielding - yes
69 Midnight's Children - Salman Rushdie - no
70 Moby Dick - Herman Melville - no
71 Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens - no
72 Dracula - Bram Stoker - yes
73 The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett - yes
74 Notes From A Small Island - Bill Bryson - yes
75 Ulysses - James Joyce - no
76 The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath - no
77 Swallows and Amazons - Arthur Ransome - No
78 Germinal - Emile Zola - no
79 Vanity Fair - William Makepeace Thackeray - yes
80 Possession - AS Byatt- no
81 A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens - yes
82 Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell - No
83 The Color Purple - Alice Walker - no
84 The Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro - no
85 Madame Bovary - Gustave Flaubert - no
86 A Fine Balance - Rohinton Mistry - no
87 Charlotte's Web - EB White - yes
88 The Five People You Meet In Heaven - Mitch Albom - no
89 Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - yes (and I can say complete works)
90 The Faraway Tree Collection - Enid Blyton - No
91 Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad - no
92 The Little Prince - Antoine De Saint-Exupe - yes
93 The Wasp Factory - Iain Banks - No
94 Watership Down - Richard Adams - yes
95 A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole - no
96 A Town Like Alice - Nevil Shute - No
97 The Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas - no
98 Hamlet – Shakespeare – yes
99 Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Roald Dahl - yes
100 Les Miserables - Victor Hugo - no

Why is Shakespeare on here twice, I wonder?

So, I've read: 45. Nearly half. And plenty that I have no desire to ready whatsoever.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, 45 is impressive! A cursory glance over this list leads to think I've read maybe a quarter. But I agree with you that most of these I just have no interest in, and another few I just can't remember if I read them or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressive, the fact that you waste company time blogging on your personal blog. ASU is going through major budget cuts and people are being laid off, but at least YOU get to indulge your personal pursuits. YAY selfishness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous - since you did not sign your comment, I assume you don't know me. In which case, kindly keep your judgments to yourself. My work schedule is none of your business.

    Do note that any further unsigned comments on this subject will be deleted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got 37. I am also a sucker. http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=55012792228 And see, I refer to the last list that I got pulled into. And I'd like to know where Faulkner falls on this.

    Wow, anonymous, harsh.

    And I will quash any further comments since I think I need to investigate food.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I noticed a few redundant enteries like the Chronicles of Narnia and the Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe.

    I would highly recommended The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. I have struggled through some of her other stuff but I loved this book.

    I wonder if it is a sign of the economic times that people have time to go through people's blogs and make judgement calls about wasting time.

    I am going to have to repost this on my blog though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm....I have read 43 although some of them were a mighty long time ago and I'm not sure if I remember them.. There were a few titles on the list that reminded me that I would definitely like to read them again.

    ReplyDelete