Pages

March 22, 2009

Beer Pancakes!

Announcement: I updated my Weeding post with pictures, so go take a look!

And now back to our regularly scheduled program. As you may recall, one of my New Year's Resolutions for 2008 was to learn how to make really good pancakes. This was a really fun resolution, and I made many a blog post in MySpace about it. I feel rather badly that I didn't make those posts here, because I enjoy blogging about pancakes, and I got into the habit of taking pictures whenever I tried a new recipe, so here's an attempt to remedy the situation.

For our post-St. Paddy's day breakfast, I made beer pancakes - using Guinness, of course. I doubled the recipe above so that I could use an entire 14.5 oz can of Guinness draft (I was also cooking for 3) and also used whole wheat flour instead of white. I made the pancakes again yesterday, and doubling the recipe is definitely too much for two people.
Beer pancake batter

The Guinness and wheat flour give the batter a very dark color. I think I overmixed a little and could have used a little more flour - the batter was very thin and the pancakes were not very fluffy.

Beer pancakes 2

However, the taste was excellent! The pancakes were moist, with a little tang reminiscent of sourdough. I don't think you really taste the beer, but I know that others who perhaps don't like beer to begin with may not agree. I served them up with butter, syrup, and strawberries for a satisfying breakfast. So satisfying, I was halfway through my plate before I remembered to take a final picture.

15 March 09

I have a pancake set if you have an irresistible urge to look at my past attempts.

2 comments:

  1. Looks scrumptious! I have to admit, I've been doing the Bisquick pancakes for so long now, I probably couldn't make a real pancake if my life depended on it. My mom always made homemade pancakes and for years, I couldn't stand any other kind. Guess I've slipped.

    I love that you made New Year's resolutions that are interesting and entertaining. Everybody ought to do the same rather than come up with the same ol' tired ones (losing weight, etc.) that never actually happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This article on Slate is about cooking food from restaurant cookbooks and from Shopsin's in NYC, there is a pancake recipe called "slutty cakes" which is supposed to have a center just like a reese's peanut butter cup. Might be good for another try:

    http://www.slate.com/id/2208787/

    ReplyDelete