Ebooks!

Gave my presentation this morning to an audience of 5 at Phoenix Public Library. It was fine though, we had a nice discussion about the practicality of e-books.

Here's my presentation:


And here's a direct link to my bibliography, so you can click off to it for more info.

Lisa asked me which was my favorite. This is a hard question - personally, if I just had to buy a reader today, I would probably buy the Sony Reader PRS 700. I'm not thrilled about the proprietary Sony store and format, but at least it also supports several open formats, including the open epub standard. The Kindle doesn't do this and neither does the Cybook, which was another serious possibility for me and the lack of epub capability is the deal breaker there. The iRex models are just more than I would want to pay. When it comes down to it, though, I want a combination of all of them - some of the iRex and Sony design, the portability of the Cybook, and the ease and accessibility of the Amazon store.

Since I don't have to buy one today, I'll wait another year or so and see what Plastic Logic comes up with.

What do you think?

Comments

  1. Sony reader works with overdrive too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bookeen, the developers/producers of the Cybook have already signed a deal with Adobe to license the Adobe Reader Mobile SDK, which will improve PDF support and add epub support.

    http://bookeen.blogspot.com/2009/02/adobe-pdf-and-epub-will-be-present-in.html

    The differences between the Sony Reader and the Cybook are relatively minor. The biggest difference that would matter to me is that the Sony Reader supports SDHC memory cards, while the Cybook only supports SD; this means the Reader can hold many more documents.

    The reason this matters to me is that I would use the device (if I were ever to purchase one) to read professional papers in PDF format while on travel. The PDFs in my field tend to be many MB in size. A 32GB SDHC card would be much more useful than a 2GB SD card. The reason that doesn't really matter is that 2GB SD cards are super cheap.

    I would prefer to support a small company like Bookeen, but I'm not sure whether I would choose the Sony Reader or the Bookeen Cybook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the concept of Readers, but I'm still old fashioned when it comes to the feel of paper when reading novels for leisure. I could see how it would have a wonderful use as a storage device for research on the go. I've never seen one in person so I could be persuaded to give one a try. Maybe one of my friends (hint, hint) will get one someday so I can play with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeff - I was hoping you'd chime in, I know you have a Reader! I'd be interested in your thoughts on the new Kindle.

    Moses - thanks for the tip on Bookeen adding epub compatability. That makes the choice between Sony and Cybook much more difficult. Probably price would play a bigger factor for me.

    Jennifer - I have seen one in person, and the screen is very attractive. Plus, most readers are lighter than even the paperback versions of all those thick fantasy/scifi books we love. I don't know about you, but my hand gets tired holding those puppies up sometimes!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment