Pages

January 09, 2009

25 things

I was tagged to do this on Facebook, which is to just list 25 random things about yourself. It's Friday and I'm winding down a long week, so here you go.
  1. I refuse to blog on Facebook, which is why I am blogging this here. Theoretically this is more public, but does require some effort and knowledge to get here.
  2. I have a strange public/private boundary. Once I know you well enough to cross that, you will probably get more information than you ever wanted to know.
  3. I feel socially awkward most of the time, and constantly have to remind myself that I'm not 13. I think I succeed, because I know most people don't know how awkward I am.
  4. Friends and the Cosby Show are my favorite TV programs of all time. Well, and Star Trek: The Next Generation
  5. Growing up, I lived in a house with no central heating. In northern Utah. We had a wood-burning stove.
  6. At that time, we had 7 cats, 3 dogs, and 2 parakeets. All outside pets (except the birds). I can still name them all.
  7. I am over-empathetic to non-conscious beings in movies - I absolutely cannot watch movies with animal stars or anthropomorphic robots without dissolving in tears whenever there is danger - which there must be because there's a friggin movie about it. I both long and dread to see Wall-E
  8. I also didn't have a TV, and have never really gotten into the TV-viewing habit.
  9. We got our first TV when I was in high school - it picked up Flagstaff channel 2. We used it solely to play Nintendo. It was a 13 inch black and white.
  10. I've taken lots of dance classes, but never really aspired to be a dancer. Dancing, however, is one of my absolute passions.
  11. I was raised playing Dungeons & Dragons - I rolled dice for my parents' friends when I was a child, rolled my first character (an elven cleric named Trillina) when I was 10, and have played ever since, barring a hiatus during my late teens. No other RPG really fills me with the same satisfaction.
  12. In my dreams to be a rock star, one of my band ideas was to play in an Irish folk rock group like Tempest. Or to be the guitarist for Loreena McKinnitt.
  13. Like Marc, I still dream of being a rock star even though I know I would hate the attention.
  14. I didn't start using computers really until my freshman year in college, and didn't own one until about 1998 (Chris built me one). I am not a digital native.
  15. I am a book junkie - I used to get so into books that I would just read all day, every day. In order to graduate college, I had to ban myself from reading anything if school was in session.
  16. They were all trashy fantasy novels, for the most part, so maybe it's for the best. I've become so much more picky about fantasy these days.
  17. My family joined the Society for Creative Anachronism when I was 13, and I was very active in it until I was 19.
  18. The SCA was a major factor in my decision to major in classical guitar, and majoring in classical guitar was a major factor in my decision to quit the SCA.
  19. I was the youngest student in the guitar studio until my first senior year, and one of 3 women all 5 years. I was also the least proficient guitarist - not a put down, just the truth. I got into the program because I am a woman.
  20. When I got engaged, my guitar professor joked that Chris should buy me rings for all the fingers on my left hand to strengthen them. Hah - pumping nylon ftw!
  21. I am terrified of heights. I can't even climb a ladder onto the roof.
  22. In high school, I was a peer mentor my senior year. We had some team building day on a fancy obstacle course at NAU. I had to climb to the top of this like 20-foot pole and stand up on the little platform on the top (maybe 2-ft diameter). I was attached to a harness and all these ropes. It took me forever to have enough courage to stand up, my knees shook so much that I'm sure it was visible. I jumped off because it was better than standing there.
  23. I almost always automatically type a 'g' after typing 'n'.
  24. I never thought I would love living in a city - I grew up in small towns until college and my dream place to live has always been in a small place in a forest on a mountain. Now I hate snow, cold, and really like my city amenities.
  25. I have the willpower of a gnat when it comes to sweets, especially black licorice.
Okay, not tagging anyone because it's time to go home!

1 comment:

  1. Re: 4, I knew the Friends, but am not surprised about the cosby one.

    Re: 7. So you were a mess during Finding Nemo and the ep. of TNG where Data discovers the little cute machines are sentient. You cried during Batteries Not Included, didn't you?? And I think I included a note in the To Say Nothing of the Dog book by Willis that I leant you that the cat ends up okay.

    Re: 25. You're a black liquorice chica. I got way hooked on it in college. They have black liquorice with chocolate. And I've forgotten the name now.

    ReplyDelete