Pages

December 11, 2008

Holiday Fluffiness

With the AzLA Conference this week, as well as end of the year projects, I've been pretty consarned busy. I will post about many of these things tomorrow or perhaps next week, but thought I'd take a quick break with some holiday fluff, courtesy of the Joneses (I must keep up, after all).

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? I prefer gift bags because they are reusable. I've been trying to avoid wrapping paper when possible for the last couple of years.
2. Real tree or Artificial? Artificial - even though I heard that real trees are actually more environmentally friendly. I just can't take the thought of a real tree shedding needles in my living room for a month because:
3. When do you put up the tree? The first weekend of December
4. When do you take the tree down? The first weekend after New Year's
5. Do you like eggnog? I do
6. Favorite gift received as a child? I know it's awful, but I don't remember any one particular gift for Christmas. One of my favorites was a big teddy bear that was made by my grandmother. I'm not sure if it was Christmas or my birthday, but I loved that bear and named it Charlie. Yes, my cat is named after this teddy bear. Alas, it was lost in one of our many moves.
7. Hardest person to buy for? Chris - though I'm probably more picky than he is
8. Easiest person to buy for? Anyone in my family, really
9. Do you have a nativity scene? Yes, a wooden puzzle one that Chris made in boy scouts
10. Mail or email Christmas cards? I mail most of them
11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? No gift. I understand when people can't afford gifts or have other problems, but honestly, you can make me a card and I'll be happy. Don't tell me you can't afford a piece of paper and a crayon. I'm not talking about friends or extended family, either - I don't want a lot of gifts. But from my immediate family, I do think the thought really counts.
12. When do you start shopping for Christmas? Usually in November, though I try to start thinking up ideas throughout the year.
13. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? Yes - White Elephant gift exchanges are awesome!
14. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Everything! Candy, gingerbread, cookies, you name it. My in-laws also make great stollen, lefsa, and krumkaka. Delicious!
15. Lights on the tree? Yes, I love colored lights!
16. Favorite Christmas song? I love traditional Christmas music in general - my favorites include I wonder as I wander, O Come O Come Emmanuel, The Boar's Head Carol, and Good King Wenceslas
17. Travel at Christmas or stay home? Both - this year, we're staying home for a staycation. I'm very excited.
18. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer's? Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner, Blitzen.
19. Angel on the tree-top or a star? Angel - but I would do a star.
20. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? Both - sometimes we have Christmas Eve with one family and Christmas Morning with the other. It depends on what works out. I am actually really good about waiting - I like the anticipation and I don't mind denying myself instant gratification.
21. Most annoying thing about this time of the year? Really bad Christmas music. Bad = anything I don't like. Also the very materialistic aspect that gets attached to the whole gift exchange. I think gift exchanges should be loving and thoughtful, not based on greed and expectation. I could rant on this for a while...maybe I should move on.
22. Favorite ornament theme or color? I don't have a theme, but most of my ornaments are handmade or gifts, and I love that about my tree.
23. Favorite food for Christmas dinner? Mmmm....food. It's all good. My in-laws have oyster stew and tamales for Christmas Eve dinner and THAT'S my favorite.
24. What do you want for Christmas this year? A lovely time with friends and family. Seriously.

*Picture from daisy_princess at the Flickr Christmas Lights Pool.

3 comments:

  1. Doh! you got a spam comment! Delete that sucker.

    Anyway, first of all, what the heck are stollen, lefsa, and krumkaka? Sounds frightening.

    And second, how could you even forget Rudolph?! Blasphemy!

    Merry Christmas! Can't wait to see your decor this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I rarely get spam. Guess I'll have to change my comment settings again.

    Stollen is a wonderful fruit cake. Lefsa is a traditional Norwegian flatbread that is pretty much a potato tortilla. Very yummy. Krumkaka is a Norwegian waffle cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read that for every Christmas tree harvested (chopped down) three seedlings are planted in its place.

    ReplyDelete