Pages

November 18, 2008

Go Go Grumpator Gadgets!


So I've had my lovely Dell Mini 9 for nearly 3 weeks and I gave it a workout at the Charleston Conference. My review: it is super awesome! It's light and easy to carry around. I worked on my probationary review letter on the plane ride, and I can't imagine trying to use a larger laptop on a plane in such a confined space. I took tons of notes at conference sessions. The battery life is good, probably about 4 hours (I got it down to 20% or so after 3 hours, but got obsessive and plugged it in). Because I'm a laptop newb, despite being such a gadget freak, I had been concerned about connecting to wireless networks, but it is very easy. It is everything I could ever want in a laptop, and it gives me extra geekery cred because it's so tiny - strangers come up and coo over it as if it were a baby. I love it!

One caveat - the 'u' key was defective and sticky - whenever I typed any key around it, I got an extra 'u'. However, I told Dell about it and they sent me a new keyboard within 2 days. We swapped it out (very easy), and I'm sending the defective keyboard back. No problem, and it says a lot about Dell's customer service - I'm quite pleased with such a rapid response.

In other gadget news, I drowned my precious HTC 8125 last week. It still works, but it hasn't fully recovered - it no longer closes completely (that's my fault), some of the keys on the keyboard don't work at all, and many of the buttons stick. Considering I've had my precious for over 2 years, I decided it was time to retire it and get a new phone. However, because I now have a laptop I have a hard time justifying another smartphone, including justifying the expense when I can get a new phone as a free "upgrade." So, I decided on the Sony Ericsson W580i. I chose it because it is green, and it will be nice to have a phone that is not the size of a brick.

I feel a little like I'm "upgrading" from broadband to dial-up, but I really do just need a phone. And a calendar. I'm hoping to find a way to sync my calendar from my computer. I'm sure the phone will be fine, but it will definitely take some adjustment.

6 comments:

  1. Just spotted your tweet on trying out Remember The Milk. It is *awesome* - I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

    I have a Sony Ericsson phone too (an older K750i) and I have looked extensively into syncing calendars...are you using Outlook or GCal or some lesser, ahem, other calendar?

    For GCal syncing (which I haven't mastered yet), you could look into ScheduleWorld (www.scheduleworld.com). There are lots of contact syncing sites out there including the new Soocial (www.soocial.com) which I heard about last week from Lifehacker. There are a few other calendar sites but many require payment.

    I like the green color!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm using Outlook for calendars. I'd love to be able to sync the new phone to it somehow - even if it means syncing to Gcal first. Though I suppose if work-arounds become too cumbersome, I'll just enter in appointments the old-fashioned way - by hand!

    How do you like the phone, overall? I'd appreciate your thoughts - this is definitely a new step for me.

    So far, loving RTM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Outlook syncing is by far easier than GCal syncing - the Sony Ericcson software (that came with your phone? Otherwise it's downloadable from their website) should handle this with no problems. I only use Outlook at work, where I am in IT lockdown hell, so I haven't done the syncing myself yet.

    I've had this phone for over a year - it was a hand-me-down from a friend at work - and I do really like it. Before then I was a die-hard Nokia addict. It runs Java apps easily, and it comes as close as I need to smartphone features (for me this means internet access and contact syncing). Mine is a candy bar-style phone, like yours, not a flip phone - sometimes I wish I could do the cool flippy thing like the old Star Trek communicators. :)

    Let me know how the Sony Ericcson software goes...I'm using the "S E PC Suite" which would probably work for yours too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is very, very pretty... A nice shiny Empire red or whatever it's called. It's got flair.

    And the phone works too.

    And I tracked the analogy of upgrading from broadband to dial-up.

    And I smiled at the go, go grumpator gadgets as I so loved. Inspector Gadget.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mine is actually white - not quite as flairsome, but still sleek and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember when you got your Clie. You carried it around in a tube sock to protect it. Ahhh, memories.

    ReplyDelete