Pages

November 26, 2008

For Beauty

It was still dark when I left the house early this morning. A whiff of rain was in the air, but it hadn't yet started. I biked east, as the sun began to rise. Cloudy skies are the best for sunrises, their feathery edges lightly dusted with coral, which gradually deepen to a brazen rose-gold. As I watched, the sky wavered between pink and cloudy blue. By the time I arrived on campus, the sun was just caressing Gammage Auditorium, softly glowing pink against the dark western sky. The clouds took over again as I parked my bike, and it was raining when I left the gym, but the sunrise was still a brief, gorgeous display.

I'm so thankful that I live on such a beautiful world, in such an amazing universe. Each day, I can find beauty somewhere - in a sunset, a canopy of branches, the delicacy of a small bird, the curve of a flower petal. I'm especially fond of the Southwest, Utah and Arizona frequently leave me breathless with their diversity: prickly deserts, towering mountains, green forests, majestic red rocks - I would never live anywhere else.
Agave

And to live at a time when we discover so much about our universe! I love seeing the incredible photos of distant galaxies, incomprehensible gas clouds, amazing planets! I'm so lucky to be a part of this time of discovery.

Whether you believe the universe was created by a God, or a result of the Big Bang, a combination of the two, or any other method of creation, it's worth giving thanks each and every day.

*The Horsehead Nebula in Orion - today's Astronomy Picture of the Day, Credit: Adam Block/Mount Lemmon SkyCenter/University of Arizona (Board of Regents)

1 comment: