September Book a Month Challenge

September's theme was change, so I decided to read The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream by Barack Obama.

I honestly wasn't sure what to expect, since I normally don't books by politicians. However, I'm in a political frenzy over this year's elections and this book certainly suited my mood. I was pleasantly surprised by how easy and approachable this book is to read - I really flew through it pretty quickly. Obama maintains a pretty casual and conversational tone throughout the book.

Obama talks about a variety of political issues and challenges that America faces today, from immigration, to the economy, to values and faith, to foreign policy. In each case, he approaches the issue historically, he talks evenhandedly about a variety of view points, and he proposes his own ideas for the best way for America to move forward. I appreciate the historical aspects to lay a foundation for why we are where we are, and I do like how he goes through the entire book without trashing anyone else.

As an Obama supporter, I am also gratified to see that most of the ideas and positions he takes in this book, written and published in 2006, are the foundations of his current campaign and are virtually unchanged. I like a candidate that has obviously put much time and research into his position, even before he was running for president. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone, including my father-in-law. Despite his support for McCain, I think he would appreciate the history and Consitutional insights that Obama presents in the book. I don't think it would make him change his mind, but we could have some nice discussions over dinner.

Comments