August Book a Month Challenge

Like Kerry, I'm a little behind on my BAMC post this month. August's theme was cold, and I have a bit of a story to excuse my pick. I have a list of books-to-read, so after learning the Book a Month Challenge theme, I always peruse my list to see if there's something I already have down that will fit. This month, I noticed that I'd listed The Santaland Diaries by David Sedaris, so I decided that would fit. I mean, Santa = cold, right? However, my place of work didn't own The Santaland Diaries, but it DID have the stage adaptation by Joe Mantello. Being exceedingly lazy, I decided to just read that. I feel like I cheated a little, though, because both plays (Season's Greetings is included) total only 54 pages. Oh well.

The Santaland Diaries is an autobiographical essay of Sedaris' experience working as an elf in a Macy's SantaLand. It's very funny, and I think that anyone who has seen the chaos that any shopping mall becomes during the holiday season will see a familiar situtation described in the various anecdotes. Overall, though, it's a pretty positive read, and a quick one at that.

Incidentally, NPR has an archived recording of Sedaris' original performance of this essay in 1992.

I can't say that I enjoyed the second essay, Seasons Greetings to our Friends and Family!!! It's a spoof of the annual holiday letter that has become so much of a Christmas card tradition, but it has some pretty dark twists. In general, it's a little TOO dark for my taste.

For September, the BAMC theme is Change and I've vowed to read a real book. I'm working on Barack Obama's The Audacity of Hope.

Comments

  1. Yeah, I read both Santaland Diaries and Season's Greetings awhile ago in a collection of his stuff called Holidays on Ice.

    I think both are originally from his collection Barrel Fever which I'm reading and are quite darker than Me Talk Pretty One Day which I think is his best. Like I'm finding them dark and also am not getting used to the different povs. I.e., it's not him who's talking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to hearing what you have to say about the Audacity of Hope. I haven't read it, but it's on my list, and I always enjoy having someone else vet a book before I read it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment