Pages

July 10, 2008

Coming back with a purpose

While on vacation, I got extremely far away, mentally, from my daily life here. No internet access, no video games, no blogs. I haven't been that far removed for years, since before college. I'm sure that this happens to a lot of people who are tied to their computers as I am, and I found it to be quite refreshing. As a result, though, I've been rethinking my priorities, both personally and professionally, and am making some changes. Here are some of the things I've been thinking about, in no particular order.

Some things that aren't as important/cutting back:
  • Blog subscriptions - I'm really trying to limit this to the point where I can clean out my blog reading in 90 minutes/day.
  • World of Warcraft - I still enjoy the game, but there are other games I enjoy as well. I don't want this to be my only connection with family and friends.
  • Coffee - I got used to the lower caffeine level of tea so that when I had my usual 2 cups of coffee at home, I found I was all jittery and wound up. Cutting back to 1 cup.

Some things that I feel are more important to emphasize in my life:

  • Diet and exercise - I've been putting on a little weight this spring, and gained 5 lbs in Ireland, so I'm definitely at my limit. I want to get back to my weight and fitness levels of a year ago. I'm still trying to work out what to do about my shoulder, which dislocated again just before our trip, right after my recent bout of physical therapy. It seems pretty clear that PT isn't the answer, or else I'm doing something really wrong. I feel I have to make a choice between living with this for the rest of my life, or having major surgery.
  • Guitar - I brought one of my guitars to work, so I could play a little during breaks. Much more healthy and stress-reducing than blog reading.
  • Professional reading - again, I was focusing too much on blogs and not enough on professional literature. I know this is an important source of professional development and knowledge, so I'm making more time for it in my schedule.
  • Prioritizing tasks and being more focused at work - 'nuff said. I guess a big part of this, as well as other items on this list, is showing more of a commitment to my career.
  • Making more of an effort at professional relationships with my coworkers - I tend to skate along and hole up in my office. I should really get out more.
  • Similarly, keeping a focus on relationships with family and friends. Not just virtually, which is easy, but in person, which is harder.

I know that my cutting back list is shorter than my adding on list, but really, the blog thing was taking up a lot of my time and mental energy. You might say I was addicted, which would probably be close. You might say it's a little ironic that I'm talking about being addicted to blogs on my blog, and you'd be right. However, I read more blogs that I write, and I don't have any plans to stop writing. I am going to try to be more thoughtful about my blogging, though.

Anyway, it's off to work!

2 comments:

  1. Nothing like a little time away to change your perspective. I think all your goals are excellent! I really need to get out more too and make those social connections. I mean after all, we've lived 15 minutes apart for over 5 years and only see eachother like twice a year. What's up with that?! Time to log off the WoW and talk face to face, preferably with yummy food/beer nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect example of what I mean - visiting friends in real life! Imagine!

    ReplyDelete