Reading and Gaming

June's Book a Month Challenge theme is knowledge. Because half of my month will be spent traveling, and we are packing light for biking, I'm going to cheat a little and say that I'll be reading Let's Go:Ireland as my book this month. Normally, I pack some huge novel for the plane ride at least, but it all depends on what will fit in my backpack. This way I can guarantee I'll read something at least tangentially related to the theme.

From Musical Perceptions, I found this meme of LibraryThing books that were tagged unread. The job is to bold those books I have read, underline the titles I read for school , and italicize those I started but didn't finish.
  1. Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
  2. Anna Karenina
  3. Crime and Punishment
  4. Catch-22
  5. One Hundred Years of Solitude
  6. Wuthering Heights
  7. The Silmarillion
  8. Life of Pi: A novel
  9. The Name of the Rose
  10. Don Quixote
  11. Moby Dick
  12. Ulysses
  13. Madame Bovary
  14. The Odyssey
  15. Pride and Prejudice
  16. Jane Eyre (Chris read it for school, and then made me read it)
  17. The Tale of Two Cities
  18. The Brothers Karamazov
  19. Guns, Germs, and Steel
  20. War and Peace (managed to slog my way through somehow)
  21. Vanity Fair
  22. The Time Traveler's Wife
  23. The Iliad
  24. Emma
  25. The Blind Assassin
  26. The Kite Runner
  27. Mrs. Dalloway
  28. Great Expectations
  29. American Gods
  30. A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius
  31. Atlas Shrugged
  32. Reading Lolita in Tehran
  33. Memoirs of a Geisha
  34. Middlesex
  35. Quicksilver (sadly, not yet)
  36. Wicked: The life and times of the wicked witch of the West
  37. The Canterbury Tales
  38. The Historian : a novel
  39. A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
  40. Love in the Time of Cholera
  41. Brave New World
  42. The Fountainhead
  43. Foucault's Pendulum
  44. Middlemarch
  45. Frankenstein
  46. The Count of Monte Cristo
  47. Dracula
  48. A Clockwork Orange
  49. Anansi Boys
  50. The Once and Future King
  51. The Grapes of Wrath (though somehow I had a library fine for it in grade school, even though I'd never checked it out)
  52. The Poisonwood Bible
  53. 1984
  54. Angels & Demons
  55. Inferno
  56. The Satanic Verses
  57. Sense and Sensibility
  58. The Picture of Dorian Gray (on the to-read list after watching The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen)
  59. Mansfield Park
  60. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
  61. To the Lighthouse
  62. Tess of the D'Urbervilles
  63. Oliver Twist
  64. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
  65. Dune (that's right, I haven't read it).
  66. The Prince
  67. The Sound and the Fury
  68. Angela's Ashes: A memoir
  69. The God of Small Things
  70. A People's History of the United States : 1492-present
  71. Cryptonomicon
  72. Neverwhere (on the to-read list)
  73. A Confederacy of Dunces
  74. A Short History of Nearly Everything
  75. Dubliners
  76. The Unbearable Lightness of Being
  77. Beloved
  78. Slaughterhouse-Five
  79. The Scarlet Letter
  80. Eats, Shoots & Leaves
  81. The Mists of Avalon
  82. Oryx and Crake
  83. Collapse: How societies choose to fail or succeed
  84. Cloud Atlas
  85. The Confusion
  86. Lolita
  87. Persuasion
  88. Northanger Abbey
  89. The Catcher in the Rye
  90. On the Road
  91. The Hunchback of Notre Dame
  92. Freakonomics: A rogue economist explores the hidden side of everything
  93. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An inquiry into values
  94. The Aeneid
  95. Watership Down
  96. Gravity’s Rainbow
  97. The Hobbit
  98. In Cold Blood: A true account of a multiple murder and its consequences
  99. White Teeth
  100. Treasure Island
  101. David Copperfield

And finally, I just discovered a guild for librarians in World of Warcraft. I love the guild ranks, and am tempted to go join, but I'm already in 3 guilds: mine - The Northshire Book Club, my brother's- Skyseekers, and the Science guild on Earthen Ring, which I haven't even logged in at since the conference. I'd meant to, but I already play pretty much as much as I want. I love the idea though!

Comments

  1. I think that you clearly need a Kindle for your trip--then you could take lots of books in one neat little package. And then also, I could drool over it and live vicariously through you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you get a Kindle, can I live vicariously through you too? You're a geek librarian - I thought you would have had one of those on the first day they were released. ;)

    You haven't read Dune, sure, but you ALSO haven't read Cryptonomicon (which Kerry and I both love) AND Memoirs of a Geisha? MoaG is a much *smaller* book than either Dune or Cryptonomicon, and would be a nice book for travel.

    But by goodness, woman, you should read Cryptonomicon and Dune! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may be a geek librarian, but I am also a geek about digital rights management issues, which the Kindle, nor the Sony Reader, has not resolved to my satisfaction. No shiny ebook readers until I can download the books I want in the formats I want without stupid DRM restrictions.

    As for Dune, the movie scarred me as a child, so I'm just starting to feel like I might be able to handle it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment