Pages

May 07, 2008

April's book

I actually did finish the April Book a Month Challenge before May, but I've been lazy about blogging lately. I figure that's good enough.

April's theme was "beauty", so I used that as the perfect excuse to pick up the next book in Scott Westerfeld's Uglies series, Pretties. I read Uglies earlier this year, and quite liked it. While it didn't exactly end on a cliffhanger, you really do have to continue on to the next book to find out what happens next.

Pretties takes up the story about a month after the end of Uglies. The book moves along at a fast clip, so it really draws you in right away and it's hard to put down. Westerfeld paints a very vivid picture of the current society (built after the fall of our own, "rusty" society), along with a collection of teen slang that, were I still a teen, I would have picked up and made my own. No doubt there are teens that are doing this now. The premise is that members of society are surgically altered at the age of 16 to be scientifically beautiful and healthy, though also made docile and incurious. Naturally, there are all sorts of issues with this, though perhaps not as many as you might think. The characters are interesting, if not always likable, and fairly accurately portrayed.

However, like its predecessor, Pretties ends without resolution, leaving me hungry to read the next book in the series, Specials and find out what happens next.

The theme for May is "Mother" and after reviewing my To-Read list, I didn't find anything that I felt would be appropriate. However, I've decided to read one of the suggested titles, Motherhood, the Second Oldest Profession by Erma Bombeck. I love Erma Bombeck, AND we have a copy at my library. I'm on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment