Pages

April 13, 2008

Craft

So here it is, nearly mid-April, and I haven't posted my review for March's book. The simple reason for this is I haven't finished it yet. And the fact is, I probably won't finish any time soon.

March's theme was craft - and for some perverse reason, I decided to read Godel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid by Douglas R. Hofstadter. My reasoning was that this book talks about the creativity and craft in mathematics, music, and art. We've had the book for ages, and I've always meant to read it.

I'm actually really enjoying the book - Hofstadter explores some really interesting theories, and his description of the book is "a metaphorical fugue on minds and machines in the spirit of Lewis Carroll." Each chapter begins with an imaginary dialog between the Tortoise and Achilles, usually about some puzzle, which the rest of the chapter attempts to explain.

However much I enjoy reading the book, it's not something I sit down and read for hours at a time. Reading it is much like doing homework - even though it's a subject that interests you, you still have to go back and re-read bits, pause and think about passages, and generally take your time plowing through. I can stand about a chapter at a time, and can't read before bed so I'm not too tired to try to take in the concepts. I normally don't fall asleep while reading, but this is definitely the sort of material that makes my brain feel numb if I'm tired.

I expect it'll take me another month or two to get through it. This is the type of book that has webpages devoted to it.

April's theme is Beauty - and I've decided to read Pretties, by Scott Westerfeld. I anticipate no problems in finishing up by the end of the month. This will be a quick read by comparison.

No comments:

Post a Comment