RIP Gary

My brother texted me just now to let me know that Gary Gygax died today at the age of 69.

As one of the fathers of Dungeons & Dragons, Gary holds a special place in hearts of gamers everywhere. Dungeons & Dragons is one of my favorite games of all time. My parents played D&D when I was young, I was rolling dice for their friends as early as I can remember. I started playing myself at the age of 10 - my first character was an elven cleric named Trillina. I probably still have that character sheet lying around somewhere.

I remember when 2nd edition first came out. I played all through high school, took a break for a couple of years, then started up again the last few years of college. My husband plays, my best friends play. D&D is part of the glue that holds many of my closest relationships together. It fostered my love of RPGs, and is still my favorite. World of Warcraft may come close, but it's just not the same - I love being surrounded by stacks of books, my dice spread out before me, sitting at a table with my party, hanging on the DM's every word as he describes the room we've just entered.

For so many good times and memories, as well as many more to come, I thank you, Gary. May all your hits be crits!
Update:
Via Penny Arcade.

Comments

  1. I miss D&D. I miss those all day gaming marathons we used to have. I wish someone would come up with some (good) way to play it online. Ahhh, memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss it too, but I doubt that any online method would be as satisfying. You just need to move closer so that we can play.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment