Pages

October 08, 2007

Some randomness

Fantastic weather this weekend! October is one of my favorite months of the year!

Read this article about pink bias in gaming - as a female gamer and tomboy, it really strikes a chord with me. I've only recently started incorporating pink into my wardrobe (and still not in public) after eschewing it as too girly when I was 13 (and promptly decided black was my favorite color, and went through a short goth phase).

An intriguing Toyota commercial I have to share, since Toyota is my favorite car company (solely due to my beloved Prius).


I've been making a few template/layout tweaks, merely for amusement. One thing I added was a playlist, a la MySpace. I never see playlists on other types of blogs, and I thought I'd try it, as long as I didn't set it to start playing automatically. Any thoughts on this?

And, here's your cat picture for today:
29 Sept 07

4 comments:

  1. Love the commercial (I feel dirty saying that).

    Charlie is such a stealthy creature. I barely saw him hiding in the closet. He is a little lion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have loved a pink DS, but the pink they have is a pastel "baby" pink. And it came with Nintendogs...ew. If they had made a fushia or hot pink that came with animal crossing or brain age, I would be all over it. As it is, I have the red one that came with mariokart. I put flame decals on it, so it looks decently cool. I'd prefer a DS lite, but I don't care enough to want to spend any money on it. If it hadn't been a gift, I never would have gotten one in the first place. Good article though, I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you know, I'm also not a pink person, not just because I'm a tomboy because also because I have a little too much pink in my skin and wearing pink has a tendency to really redden my face.

    I liked the article, but felt it fell a little too hard on the "pink dislike = misogyny" line. With two boys at home, I'm just starting to realize how gender-exacting the world of men is--for other men. It's true, that all things "girly" and female have long been considered a sign of weakness for men and women are constantly fighting an uphill battle against that--men aren't even allowed to fight that battle. I'm sure that little boy who returned the DS didn't do so just because he didn't like the color pink, but because he wouldn't have ruthlessly been made fun of by other boys for having one and that social pressure to be manly. I would have a hard time using my son as a push for my feminist ideals (i.e. making him carry around a pink DS as a political statement, knowing he's likely to get beaten up for it) while at the same time, trying to make our home environment a place where it's okay for him to experiment with a more feminine side (when he was three, he rubbed red crayon all over his lips and said, "Mommy, I a princess!"). Pink has come and gone as an acceptable color for men (loads of pink shirts in the eighties), but the masculine identity is one that doesn't accept much leeway in dress or style. That's where we need to attack. If we "reclaim" the pink standard for ourselves, we just push it further and further out of their reach.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Society does make it hard to allow our boys to explore their feminine side. I love that you make your home a safe place for your little manly princess!

    ReplyDelete