Pages

October 15, 2007

Blog Action Day

Bloggers Unite - Blog Action Day
Today is Blog Action Day, and this year's theme is the environment. This is a topic that is near and dear to my heart. While I may not be quite as fervent as Green as a Thistle (a blog I highly recommend, by the way), or even my friend Kerry, I do my best to make my life in the city as sustainable as possible.

I thought I would just take this chance to list some of the things I do that are environmentally minded - just to help demonstrate how easy it is to make little changes in your life that can make a difference:

  • I bike to work nearly every day, and ride the bus if I can't bike.
  • My husband drives a Prius for his commute.
  • We have our own blue recycling bin (which I enforce rigidly - I don't know how many times I've told Chris that they don't recycle six-pack boxes).
  • We shop at Whole Foods, and buy locally grown produce whenever possible.
  • We reuse plastic bags (well..for the litter box).
  • I turn off the water when I brush my teeth.
  • I handwash dishes (though, to be fair, if we HAD a dishwasher, I would probably use it).
  • Gradually replacing incandescent bulbs with CFLs.
  • We try to combine errands into one trip whenever possible.
Some recent changes, in the last 6 months or so:
  • I set my printer settings to print on both sides - I actually have to use the network printer at work instead of the one in my office.
  • Sea Pearls
  • I use a canvas tote for my lunch bag.
  • I made Chris stop buying bottled water (I always refill my bottle, but he drinks a lot more than me in the car, and forgets to fill it. Now he's reusing dozens of plastic bottles and filling them all up about once a week).
  • Making some of my own home cleaning products.
  • Moving away from using wrapping paper - either make it myself or use the reusable gift bags.
Some plans for future changes:
  • Double-paned windows on the house.
  • Do an energy-audit on the house (it was built in the 70s, so there is work to be done).
  • Air-dry more laundry (if not most) outside.
  • Updated to add: environmentally friendly cat litter (either this or this)
I think it's important to remember that everyone can make a little difference, if they just try. It doesn't have to be expensive or inconvenient. Sometimes it's just a matter of realizing that there's a more sustainable way to do it.

Happy Blog Action Day!
19 Sept 07

No comments:

Post a Comment