Today is Blog Action Day, and this year's theme is the environment. This is a topic that is near and dear to my heart. While I may not be quite as fervent as Green as a Thistle (a blog I highly recommend, by the way), or even my friend Kerry, I do my best to make my life in the city as sustainable as possible.
I thought I would just take this chance to list some of the things I do that are environmentally minded - just to help demonstrate how easy it is to make little changes in your life that can make a difference:
- I bike to work nearly every day, and ride the bus if I can't bike.
- My husband drives a Prius for his commute.
- We have our own blue recycling bin (which I enforce rigidly - I don't know how many times I've told Chris that they don't recycle six-pack boxes).
- We shop at Whole Foods, and buy locally grown produce whenever possible.
- We reuse plastic bags (well..for the litter box).
- I turn off the water when I brush my teeth.
- I handwash dishes (though, to be fair, if we HAD a dishwasher, I would probably use it).
- Gradually replacing incandescent bulbs with CFLs.
- We try to combine errands into one trip whenever possible.
- I set my printer settings to print on both sides - I actually have to use the network printer at work instead of the one in my office.
- Sea Pearls
- I use a canvas tote for my lunch bag.
- I made Chris stop buying bottled water (I always refill my bottle, but he drinks a lot more than me in the car, and forgets to fill it. Now he's reusing dozens of plastic bottles and filling them all up about once a week).
- Making some of my own home cleaning products.
- Moving away from using wrapping paper - either make it myself or use the reusable gift bags.
- Double-paned windows on the house.
- Do an energy-audit on the house (it was built in the 70s, so there is work to be done).
- Air-dry more laundry (if not most) outside.
- Updated to add: environmentally friendly cat litter (either this or this)
Happy Blog Action Day!