Baskets

This weekend, I added a saddlebag basket to my bike. I've been meaning to do this for several weeks now, since riding in the hot weather only emphasizes the discomfort of using a backpack. It's funny, though, how such a small thing changes the whole feel of the bike when you ride. I have new respect for Kerry as she pulls her trailer! Of course, it's still hot, and every little breeze feels like a hurricane as I pant my way home in the evening.

Donated blood today and received a special pin because it's my 2 gallon landmark! I've now donated 1/5 of our gas tank!

So here's a discussion question: in today's Arizona Republic, there's an article about a bar in Scottsdale (actually, Anderson's Fifth Estate, my favorite 80's night destination) who banned transgendered customers from using the ladies' room, after receiving complaints from female customers who thought men dressed as women were going in there. I think this is an interesting moral dilemma: as an open-minded individual, I do my best not to discriminate against transgendered individuals, even though I personally do not understand their conflict. In most situations, live and let live, I say. I don't even have a problem with the restroom aspect - I mean, we have stalls and plenty of privacy. I'd be comfortable with a unisex restroom to be honest (given that urinals were sectioned off...I mean, I don't really need to see that). However, I would be uncomfortable in a locker room situation. It's one thing to be transgendered, but quite another to be a transvestite - and one might not be able to tell just by looking.

I also acknowledge that you can't just say they should use the men's room - the article even mentions that the men can get abusive. And it's not really practical to have a third restroom that is gender neutral.

So what's the solution? I really do want to be as accepting as possible, but on the other hand, is it reasonable to ask women in particular to allow men who may or may not be transgendered to use their private rooms?

Comments

  1. Doesn't it feel great to get your backpack off your back?! The first couple of days I felt like I'd forgotten everything, as if I was riding naked. Not that I've tried that, but I imagine riding without a backpack is kind of how it feels.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment