Weekend Reading

I've just finished reading this month's Cites & Insights: Crawford at Large (pdf). I don't usually read it, though I do read Walt's blog on a regular basis. However, I think I'm going to have to put C&I on my must-read list. If you were to ask me about what I care about in the library profession, a synopsis of library topics that interest me both personally and professionally, this issue would pretty much sum it up.

One topic that Walt addresses in depth is copyright - and even if you don't click on over to read C&I, you should definitely check out the following series of articles:
While I've railed, somewhat successfully, about being drawn into library licensing issues at work, I am fascinated by copyright and intellectual property. You might argue that the licensing of electronic resources is interconnected with copyright and you'd be right. But reading Walt's synopsis of the issue, Lessig's always brilliant ideas on IP, and Lethem's inspired article makes a certain portion of my being wish I'd gone into law. I know, I can always go BACK to school, just as I can always get that longed-for M.A. in Musicology. How many degrees will it take?

What I'm trying to say is - I've been fairly negative and disillusioned with librarianship over the past year (which is one of the reasons I haven't written many library-related posts lately), but every now and then I read something that reminds me WHY I chose this career, lack of further advanced degrees notwithstanding. Thanks, Walt!

Comments

  1. You're welcome--and thank you for those kind comments. You'll find that I've written quite a bit about those topics (although not in the past month or two), and plan to continue.

    An MA in Musicology. If I was younger and had the time, that might be tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nate sort of fell into IP after accruing two advanced degrees and still not quite sure what he wanted to do when he grew up. :) Now he's headed to law school this fall to complete the transformation. I can definitely see you in IP law--seems like there's no area more interesting or changing faster than that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment