Banned by Blizzard

A couple of weeks ago, I read this post at WoW Insider about Blizzard's banning policies. At the time, I heartily agreed with everything they said...serves those gold farmers right, I thought...

...until yesterday, when my husband received an email from wowaccountadmin saying that his account has been permanently banned for violations of the game's Terms of Service. This was totally out of the blue - he hadn't received any warnings, nor had any suspicion that he had been doing anything wrong.

Blizzard's email is completely unjustified - my husband is no more likely to have violated the ToS than, well, I am. We just enjoy playing World of Warcarft. We are not power gamers - we've been playing for over 2 years and have yet to level a character past level 44. We don't get greedy with loot or epic items, we are not members of a guild. We are casual players who will probably never see much of the the world, just because we don't have the time to devote to 40-man, or even 20-man raids or dungeons. We play every Friday night with my brother-in-law and 2 of our best friends for a 5-person group. We're like a mini-guild. There's no motivation for either of us to have done anything to violate the ToS. We're just having a good time playing the game.

So, now it's all in the hands of Blizzard to fix it. I'd like to have faith that it's just a mistake, everything will get straightened out, and we'll be back trying to finish Uldaman in a matter of days. But I can't help but be worried. Will this break up our little group? Selfishly, I wonder - if this doesn't get fixed, will I still be able to play? How could I, knowing that my husband has been unjustifiably banned? We play this game to hang out with our friends and family - my brother-in-law, my brother, my mom. Is this the end of our adventures in Azeroth?

I know there's more important things in the world to worry about, but this incident has made me sad. I've had a lot of faith and loyalty towards Blizzard - I loved Diablo II, I loved Warcraft, I love World of Warcraft. These are my favorite games. I feel very disillusioned by this.

Comments

  1. Hey, I'd like to hear how this turns out. How strange.
    -tinshark

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll definitely post more about this. Wednesday night is typically a WoW night for me, but as I log in, I feel sad, guilty, outcast. I can't enjoy myself like this. I'm going to go play some Diablo II. It's still Blizzard, but at least we can still play that together.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment