Pages

April 29, 2007

ARG!

Okay, as I've mentioned before, I'd never really considered myself a technically proficient person. It wasn't until grad school that I learned what a CPU is, and while I think I have a fair grasp on what it is, it's not like I could communicate it effectively (without research and preparation, anyway) to another person.

My web proficiency is as much a surprise to me as it is to anyone else - honestly, web stuff isn't so hard - just click around and read stuff and you'll figure it out.

But as an example of WHY I'm not a true techie - I just can't figure out my MP3 player. Seriously, I've spent hours with the damn thing and it still doesn't work right. Either it's broken or I am. I have a Creative Zen Touch, which is old, but my husband gave it to me when he bought himself an iPod about 2 years ago. It's big and clunky. It doesn't navigate through my library the way I want it to. Now it crashes on a regular basis. It doesn't sync properly with my computer - instead of just adding music from my computer that doesn't currently exist on the Zen, it starts duplicating files. I just don't get it - I'm ready to throw it across the room in anger (hopefully targeted away from my beloved computer). After I pick it up, I want to wipe it clean, sell it on Ebay to some poor sucker for $50, and then just buy a big mini-SD for my phone. Then I'll have the equivalent of an iPhone a few months early.

I just don't understand why I can't get it - but I guess it comes down to the fact that I don't want to spend hours or days organizing my library and reading the manual and learning how it works. I want to use my husband's library (on itunes, alas, curse you DRM) which he's already organized nicely, and just have a central location for all of our music, and I want a music device that I can figure out without having to read the manual and spend hours figuring out. Even my PHONE isn't that hard to use, and it has Windows Mobile on it. Seriously - Windows is easier to figure out.

4 comments:

  1. You have a smartphone with Windows Mobile? Jealous. I still haven't figured out what to do about my Palm - I only use it for MS Money when I'm on the go, but that's mainly because I have a laptop now and I do mobile computing with that. I'm thinking about an iPod touch, or maybe some kind of WM smartphone...they are expensive here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you missed me talking about my own, my precious Cingular 8125!

    Chris just loves his iPhone, too, after several years of palm burnout.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I can't believe that either.

    It looks nice...like the keyboard...but no wifi? Bluetooth is good but I want yours plus wifi, I think. And cheaper GPRS data (it's like $20/Mb here). And a million dollars, please. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, it has wifi. Wifi like crazy, baby. I'm with you on the cheaper GPRS, but I don't pay for that, I just use wifi all the time.

    ReplyDelete