Pages

February 16, 2007

If a tree falls in the woods...

I'm in a foul, foul mood this morning. The primary reason for this is that I'm still sick, and I'm really sick of being sick. Especially since it's lodged in my lungs, so I can't enjoy many of the things I normally do, such as my bike commute to and from work. Or walking up the stairs. Or sleeping.

In any case, this has messed up my equilibrium somewhat, so I'm completely infuriated by the Arizona Legislature introducing a bill to ban political opinions in classes. From the article:
A proposed law would prohibit any instructor in a public school or college from advocating or opposing a political candidate or one side of a social, political or cultural issue that is part of a partisan debate.

I mean, seriously, THIS is what our legislature is doing? Do we really want to educate a bunch of mindless drones? This bill is so stupid on so many levels, I can't even begin to list off what is wrong. Not to mention that the fear of "liberal" instructors forcing their views on their hapless students is completely unfounded.

Normally I can shrug this off and trust that a bill that so clearly violates the first amendment could never pass...but it did already pass the Senate Government Committee. I do trust that our governor, however, will never sign it into law. Thank Gawd for Janet!

I'm also exasperated by a letter to the editor wondering why only hybrid cars made by Honda or Toyota will be allowed to drive in the in HOV lanes on the freeways.
Isn't it strange that Gov. Janet Napolitano is now helping sell more Asian cars instead of helping our own economy by promoting our great domestic autos?

According to The Republic's article, the governor has ordered special privileges to fuel-efficient cars to use high-occupancy vehicle lanes, but only Toyota's Prius and Honda hybrids Insight and Civic! Ford and other companies also have great hybrid cars but are not quite up to Napolitano's standards of efficiency.

A lot of us are very concerned about the environment, but we shouldn't have to be buying Hondas or Toyotas to save gas and help the environment. I believe in America. I drive American and don't want to be discriminated against for doing so.

Let's be fair about all of this and give Arizonans who also drive American hybrids the same driving rights as the Honda car owners. Hello!
Hello back! That's because there are no American hybrids that even come close the efficiency of the Honda or Toyota models. In fact, any American hybrids that exist are using engines designed by Honda or Toyota - NOT made in the good ol' U.S. of A. The U.S. lags behind the entire world at designing fuel efficient vehicles - American hybrids weren't even introduced until last year - while the first Toyota Prius debuted in 1997. That's not discrimination.

Okay, enough ranting. I feel slightly better.

3 comments:

  1. And, of course, those are American cars, mostly built in America with mostly American parts by American workers.

    They're just not from the Big Two, or from the third one that happens to be German-owned but still gets counted as American, for some bizarre reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Anali, hope you're feeling better.

    Now, I know Priuses are good for gas mileage and all, but click this link http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=417227&in_page_id=1770

    and read the article about what their battery factories do to the environment. It's worth thinking about. Any improvement we make in one environmental area will have repercussions in another.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm lame, and just getting around to reading this article. Thanks for sending it, Nick. However, I'd just like to point out that this mine has been operating for over 100 years - it certainly wasn't manufacturing Prius batteries alone that has caused the damage. I do think that Inco should make more of an effort to control their emissions - but to say that Toyota is responsible is not entirely accurate.

    ReplyDelete