Election 2006 #3

Clearly, when I said I'd cover the candidates for State Representatives tomorrow, I meant "next week." This kind of blogging is a lot more time consuming, since I have to go out and do research - but since I should do this research before voting anyway, I might as well blog about it. But you should expect these posts on weekends when I have more time for blogging.

The Arizona Republic has been doing a good job of covering the candidates and ballot measures. Their Elections 2006 series is a good resource to check out. If I'd been more on the ball, I could have coincided my entries with theirs, which would have been useful to me.

  • So on to State Representatives. The incumbents are Leah Landrum, who is now running for the State Senate, and Ben R. Miranda. Ben is running for re-election, and I'm inclined to vote for him. As I've said before, I've been generally pleased with my disctrict's representation in our state legislature, so as the saying goes, "If it ain't broke...". Ben's AZ Republic profile interview is brief and to the point, another quality I admire in a politician. And here's his Project Vote Smart profile.
  • The other Democratic candidate to replace Leah Landrum is Cloves C. Campbell, Jr. He has a pretty spiffy campaign site, there, and here's his AZ Republic profile.
  • The Republican candidate is Daniel Coleman. He sounds like a pretty reasonable guy, seems to lack some of the raving conservativism that is so pervasive in Washington - he supports education and doesn't think that building a border fence is really the solution to the immigration issue.

I'm most likely to vote for Campbell, Jr., but as long as Miranda is re-elected, I wouldn't be too concerned if Coleman won. After all, despite my own raving liberalism, I believe it is important to have a balance and not to let either political party have too much power. It only encourages them to act like complete idiots.

For Secretary of State, we have several candidates:
  • Jan Brewer, the incumbent, is up for re-election. According to the Arizona Republic, she is a real party-player, and was the state co-chairwoman for the Bush-Cheney 2004 campaign in Arizona. That alone is enough to ensure that she won't get my vote.
  • Israel Torres is the Democratic challenger. The corresponding article from the Arizona Republic has some very positive things to say, so it's likely that I'll vote for Torres in November.
  • Ernest Hancock is a Libertarian candidate. I hate to say it, but I have a hard time taking the Libertarian party seriously. This campaign website is a prime example of crappy web design - I'm tempted to submit it to the web pages that suck site.
  • Selena Naumoff is a write-in. She doesn't seem to have a campaign site, which pretty much guarantees that she won't be elected - this is the best I could find.
Okay, that's enough of that for now. Look for the wrap up of candidates for Attorney General, Superintendant of Public Instruction, and Corporate Commissioner next week. (State Mine Inspector is running unopposed, so I'm not going to cover that at all.)

Comments