First thing I did was jump around in circles, and then run down to ILL and jump around in circles some more, only this time with company. It was a good time. It's nice to have people who'll share a celebratory circle jump.
Throughout the day, various things have been hitting me in the face, little realizations that weren't immediately apparent:
- I really don't need to monitor all the job postings any more (though I probably will anyway because it's always nice to see what's out there.
- I don't have to write another stinking cover letter for the foreseeable future.
- I know where I'll be working in 6 months.
- I can still ride my bike to work.
- I get to keep working in the place I love, with all my buddies. And I can keep all the sick and vacation time I've already accrued in the last 6 years.
- Now I have to worry about securing tenure (called "continuing appointment" on our campus), but at least that takes a few years.
The best part is, the burden of job hunting for the past year has been lifted off my head. It's amazing how light I feel, all of the sudden. At noon, it started to just filter away, and left me exhausted with the relief from the weight I'd grown so accustomed to for the last several months. It's wonderful!
I'm so excited to start! I think it's going to be a great experience, and I really have a good feeling about the future.