Pages

July 28, 2005

Job thoughts

Job hunting has been foremost on my mind for the last month or so. Not that I don't like my current job, but staying here for long after I've graduated is akin to stagnating - I've pretty much gotten everything I can get from my position. Time to move on.

Since the Phoenix Metro area is the 6th largest in the U.S., there's a lot of jobs out there. It's just a matter of waiting until the right position comes along. I've committed the biggest job hunting "don't" by being unwilling to relocate. I love Phoenix and want to stay here.

Job hunting just requires so much patience and it's very hard not to get discouraged. Especially when I see announcements like this (pdf). It's one of the saddest things I've every seen - I challenge you to name one other profession that asks for volunteers with a master's degree (aside from teaching, we're in the same boat). The library profession is getting notoriously difficult to break into - even with prior library experience (10 years here!).

Here's some other tidbits:
ARL Salary Survey Highlights - despite women being the majority in the library profession, men still make more. Sadly, this is echoed by
101 Facts on the Status of Working Women. Honestly, it's the 21st Century people!

But, here's something to put a smile on your face - someone who uses their powers for good. "With great power comes great responsibility!"
Blind Teen Gamer Obliterates Foes.

2 comments:

  1. I hate job hunting. Good luck!! Keep us posted.

    BTW, I think you might have duplicated the URL in your link to the Mesa volunteer opportunity. Now, why aren't you jumping for that one, hmm? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I fixed it. I've been a little eager with my pasting lately.

    ReplyDelete